Reports To: Director, Projects & Engineering
Our unique client has been in operations within the Okanagan for over 30 years now and have proven themselves to be one of Canada’s premier manufacturers of power, distribution, and control equipment solutions, and have markets in mining, oil & gas, renewable energy, transportation, and various commercial and industrial applications.
They pride themselves on delivering the highest quality electrical equipment and solutions to their valued worldwide customers, while providing sustainable and long-term opportunities for their employees.
Currently they are looking for an experienced Project Estimator, and with that we are recruiting for a positive, team-oriented individual with strong verbal and written communication skills. The Project Estimator is responsible for the preparation of accurate and competitive proposals in a timely manner, complying with internal standards and client requirements. They will execute proposals based on a clear and complete understanding of the scope, applicable technical specifications and commercial terms, as well as conditions necessary to meet the client’s requirements.
The Project Estimator will work closely with the sales team as a solutions provider with a focus on developing relationships and understanding the needs of our clients. Collaborating with the sales team they will analyze win/loss bid results to optimize margin rates for the various market segments consistent with the strategic plan.
Preference will be given to an individual, with an electrical trade certification, technologist diploma, or engineering degree. Previous project management experience or background in industrial electricity setting an asset.
- Customer Focus
- Team Work
- Quality Orientation
- Time Management
- Adaptability/ Flexibility
- Creative and Innovative Thinking
- Decision Making and Judgment
- Planning and Organizing
- Problem Solving
- Result Focus
- Accountability and Dependability
- Ethics and Integrity
- Mathematical Reasoning
- Development and Continual Learning
- Main client interface including all correspondence at quotation stage.
- Prepare and lead Proposal Preparation Plans for complex RFPs.
- Prepare detailed quotations using ERP system, MS Office, and MS Project.
- Review and interpret detailed project technical specifications, drawings, and commercial terms and conditions to clearly and completely define the scope of the deliverables.
- Identify areas within the specifications that require review by the Engineering Department.
- Develop project schedules through collaboration with Production Supervisors, Master Scheduler and Engineering Manager as required.
- Prepare cost estimates, including a detailed bill of material (BOM) and labour hours.
- Work with the Purchasing Department, as required, to get equipment pricing.
- Utilize department specialists as required to identify proposal risks – particularly with respect to scope, cost, schedule, quality and the organization’s technical capability and capacity.
- Prepare, issue and manage all quotation clarification requests both technical & commercial.
- Develop detailed proposal documents addressing all client tender document requirements.
- Ensure all quotes are developed in compliance with Company policy and procedures and any applicable regulations.
- Lead the “PO review for acceptance” process.
- Responsible for a full and effective hand-over to the assigned Project Manager and Engineering Designers with intermittent support throughout the project.
- Lead the validation and refinement of the estimating process by examination of completed projects.
- Follow-up internally on reasons for lost work as ascertained by the sales team; identify and action areas for improvement.
- Work closely and in cooperation with the Sales Team as a solutions provider, identifying and meeting needs to maximize sales opportunities and foster ongoing client relationships and business client development.
- Have a clear and current understanding of the organization’s product offerings and associated costs in order to best meet requests of the client.
- Develop and execute strategies for improving profitability.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Previous electrical experience required.
- Experience in electrical estimation and/or project management an asset.
- Possess strong technical and organizational skills, including the ability to understand and interpret detailed technical specifications and commercial terms.
- Excellent communication and time management skills.
- Highly motivated and self-directed capable of multi-tasking and able to work with minimal supervision.
- Enjoy working in a fast-paced deadline-oriented environment.
- Strong work ethic and positive team attitude.
- Ability to build and maintain lasting relationships with other departments, key business partners and client.
- Experience with Epicor Software an asset.
- Electrical trade certification, technologist diploma, or Engineering degree an asset.
- Manual dexterity required to use desktop computer and peripherals.
- Overtime as required.
- Some travel may be required.